Inter Terminal Transfer of Tractor trailers was introduced between JNPCT and GTI (vice-a-versa) initially with effect from 13.02.2015 and between JNPCT & NSICT (vice-a-versa) from 24.03.2015.
Since the commencement of ITT, till date 1.9 lac trucks have exchanged between the terminals while carrying out 2.4 lac transactions reducing congestion on roads outside port terminals (that many containers with one less ENTRY and less EXIT activity). 16660 trucks with 20029 transactions were recorded in the month of May, which is the highest monthly transfer till date.
The system has resulted in the following benefits to the Transporters/ Users:
- One ENTRY and one EXIT to a particular terminal is reduced in the whole process, thus resulting in reducing the load on the terminal gates for productive moves with no physical transactions.
- Reduces number of tractor-trailers on approach roads leading to terminal gates thus reducing congestion.
- Optimum utilization of trucks. Truck will always carry a container on its return journey.
- Saving in fuel thus conserving energy and reducing pollution to that extent. During each trip, 15 km of travel is reduced leading to saving in fuel of 7.5 liters of diesel.
- Turnaround time of trucks is reduced thereby increasing number of trips between CFS and Port Terminals.
- Cost of handling is reduced. More number of containers are moved in less time.